Wednesday, June 26, 2013
Saint Josemaría Escrivá - On the Priesthood
Today is the optional memorial of the founder of Opus Dei. The following are some of his quotes from his book The Way, on the priesthood.
66. "A priest - whoever he may be - is always another Christ".
67. "Though you well know it, I shall remind you again that a Priest is 'another Christ'. And that the holy Spirit has said: 'Nolite tangere Christos meos - do not touch my Christs'."
68. "Presbyter - Priest - means, literally, an elderly man. If old age deserves veneration, think how much more you ought to venerate the Priesthood."
69. "It shows very little refinement--and great lack of respect--to make fun of a Priest, whoever he is, and whatever the pretext!"
70. "I repeat: to make fun of a Priest - no matter what the circumstances- is always, at best, a sign of coarseness and poor taste."
71. "How we should admire sacerdotal purity! It is their treasure. No tyrant can ever wrest this crown from the Church."
72. "Don't place a Priest in peril of losing his dignity. It is a virtue which, without being pompous, he simply must have.
How that young cleric- a friend of ours- prayed for it: 'Lord, grant me...eighty years of dignity!'
Pray for it for the whole Priesthood, and you will have done a good thing."
73. "It cut you to the heart to hear people say that you have spoken badly of those Priests. And I am glad that it hurt: for now I am quite sure you have the right spirit!"
74. "To love God and not venerate his Priests...is not possible."
75. "Like the good sons of Noah, throw the mantle of charity over the defects you see in your father, the Priest.