Friday, January 21, 2011

Special Announcement from Bishop Larry

Please pray for our priests.


Via the Diocese of Honolulu

Statement regarding Father Marc Alexander



On Sunday, January 16, 2011, Father Marc Alexander informed me that he is planning to leave the active priestly ministry. He also informed me that he has already accepted employment in a public position in the secular sphere. As a consequence of his decision to leave active priestly ministry I have relieved him of his duties as Vicar General and Moderator of the Curia of the Diocese of Honolulu and all positions related to these appointments.



At the end of December I announced that I had granted Father Marc Alexander the six month sabbatical he had requested for rest, study, and spiritual renewal. I was shocked and extremely disappointed by his recent decision to withdraw from priestly ministry, and I am sure that many will be as shocked and surprised as I was.



Father Alexander has served the Diocese of Honolulu with great distinction as a priest for twenty-five years, and has contributed greatly to the Diocese in his last five years as Vicar General. We are grateful for all he has done. Let us pray for him.



Most Reverend Larry Silva

Bishop of Honolulu