Friday, February 19, 2010

8 Questions for Father Joe Hennen

Photo Source and article courtesy of the Hawaii Catholic Herald
Father Joseph Hennen, 69, hails from Ghent, Minn., where he and his four brothers and one sister grew up. He attended the Crosier House of Studies and St. Francis University in Fort Wayne, Ind., and was ordained a Crosier priest in 1967. He later worked for 22 years in an adolescent drug treatment program in Daytop, N.J. In 2003, Father Joe began assisting regularly during Christmas, Easter, and summer at St. Theresa in Kihei. He moved to Hawaii in 2008 and is the resident priest at Malia Puka O Kalani Parish in Keaukaha, Hawaii.
5. Who is your favorite saint?

She’s not a saint yet, but Mother Marianne Cope is my favorite holy person. I have chronic lymphocytic leukemia. When I spoke with Bishop Larry four years ago about joining the diocese and told of my disease, he said, “You need a cure and Blessed Marianne needs another miracle for her canonization. Let’s get the two of you together!” That’s the first I’d heard of her. Since that day, she’s become my best friend. She’s one fantastic woman, who lived the words on my ordination card. I wish I could be half the person she was. I made a retreat to her Syracuse motherhouse and will go again soon.
You can read the rest of Father's answers to the 8 questions here

Please keep Father Joe in your prayers.